On Tuesday 31 October 2006 18:05, Régis Décamps wrote:
> On 10/30/06, james <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Allan Spagnol Comar <allan.comar <at> gmail.com> writes:
> > > you just have to rerun grub setup.
> >
> > Hmmmm,
> >
> > If I install XP in the partition and it writes over the MBR,
> > then, upon reboot, how do I get to grub.conf so I have the
> > option to reboot the gentoo, then run grub setup?
>
> On windows run:
> fdisk /mbr
> (or somethink similar I can't recall exactly)

The fdisk /mbr is a MSDOS command.  I think you mean the more modern command
fixmbr and if you run this from a Recovery Console (using your WinXP
installation CD) your computer will self-destruct in 3 seconds (only
kidding! :) ) What either of these two commands do is write into the MBR the
M$Windoze bootloader code.  Your Gentoo installation will thereafter be
inaccessible without a LiveCD.  You can chainload grub from the WinXP
ntldr.exe or you can reinstall grub in the MBR.  I would recommend the
latter, unless you do not intend to keep the linux OS or its /boot partition
on this machine.

> That restores your previous bootloaker, ie grub.

Err, no it won't.  To restore grub boot using a LiveCD, or a Grub floppy and
install grub as per the Gentoo handbook.

--
Regards,
Mick