On Friday 03 November 2006 14:18, Marco Calviani wrote:
> Hi list,
>    i have a question regarding the use of global environmental
> variables: as root i've changed some variables inside /etc/env.d.
> I've updated the database with env-update and sourced them with
> source /etc/profile. For this changes to become available to all
> users i have to issue a source /etc/profile for every users AND also
> for future sessions. The changes become "standard" only if i reboot
> the machine. How is it possible to perform this changes for every
> users without rebooting?

I think you misunderstand the shell start up sequence, a reboot has
nothing to do with this topic at all.

If a setting is in /etc/profile then it will be used for every *new*
session for every user from here on out.

You only have to source /etc/profile in sessions that are already
running when you change any of the shell start up files.

alan