On Monday 06 November 2006 18:34, Michael Schreckenbauer wrote:

> Am Montag, 6. November 2006 15:09 schrieb Timothy A. Holmes:

> > As the machine built, the realtech is eth0 and the intel is eth1
> > I would like to reverse those two names, so that snort can use the
> > higher capacity card for its sniffer.  I am not quite sure where to look
> > even to begin this process.
>
> "nameif" does this.
>
> # equery b nameif
> [ Searching for file(s) nameif in *... ]
> sys-apps/net-tools-1.60-r12 (/sbin/nameif)
>
> # nameif <interface> <macaddress>

Or, if you're struggling with udev and you intend to run a slim installation
you could also try setting it up in your /etc/conf.d/net:
# OPTIONAL MODULES

# INTERFACE RENAMING
# There is no consistent device renaming scheme for Linux.
# The preferred way of naming devices is via the kernel module directly or
# by using udev (http://www.reactivated.net/udevrules.php)

# If you are unable to write udev rules, then we do provide a way of renaming
# the interface based on it's MAC address, but it is not optimal.
# Here is how to rename an interface whose MAC address is 00:11:22:33:44:55
# to foo1
#rename_001122334455="foo1"

# You can also do this based on current device name - although this is not
# recommended. Here we rename eth1 to foo2.
#rename_eth1="foo2"

HTH.
--
Regards,