On Tue, 07 Nov 2006 21:55:55 -0600, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> > Yes, meaningless; update world means the packages on YOUR machine,
> > matching YOUR arch and dependencies requires by YOUR use flags have
> > been changed. No one can relate to that without knowing all those
> > settings, or a simple list of the packages updated with "genlop
> > --list --date yesterday"
> >

> Your repeating it ever louder does not make it so.

Correct, it was already so.

> update world
> conveys a major update of the entire OS,

No it doesn't. It updates whatever has been updated since you last ran
it. This depends on the arch and USE flags you have, which packages
you have installed and when you last did it. it could update two packages
or two hundred. The point is, the statement gives no indication of which
packages you have upgraded, so it is of no real help in diagnosing your
problem.

> then follows a very specific
> error that I hoped someone would be able to identify.

Which I did, and proposed a solution. It didn't work because I assumed
you were using the split KDE ebuilds, a list of the packages you had
updated would have shown otherwise and enabled me to give the answer I
gave later in my first reply.

When asking for help, it is difficult to give too much information but
all to easy to give too little.

> Your continued insistance on
> this appears to be more about opinion than fact.

No, it's about asking for the information needed to make a diagnosis.

> > You're running the monolithic KDE ebuilds, so re-emerge kdebase.
> > Incidentally, this is one of the situations where the split ebuilds
> > really pay off, as you'd only have to recompile Konqueror rather than
> > all the core KDE programs.
>
> Thanks, I'll be doing that.

See, once you gave details about specific packages involved, it
was easier to provide advice. Remote diagnosis usually involves some
guessing as to the correct answer, don't make us guess the question too.

You seem to have taken this as a personal attack, it was not. If you want
people to be able to help you, give them what they need. My first
response was simply some advice on one way doing this that "update world"
does not achieve. You were not the first to fall into this trap; you will
not be the last, but my discussing it I hope it may happen less often.

--
Neil Bothwick

I'd prefer the non-smoking lifeboat, please.