On Wed, 2006-11-08 at 10:04 -0700, Richard Fish wrote:
> On 11/8/06, Vladimir G. Ivanovic <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Both parrot-0.4.6 & openoffice-2.0.4 (on AMD64) fail to run because they
> > are linked to *.so.34 versions of libraries in dev-libs/icu-3.4.1. The
> > current version is 3.6 with *.so.36 libraries.
> >
> > Is this a bug? If it is a bug, is it a bug against parrot & openoffice,
> > icu or portage?
>
> No, not a bug.  This is quite normal when updating libraries on gentoo
> that some applications end up with broken dependencies.  You should
> usually follow world updates with revdep-rebuild to ensure that any
> broken library dependencies get rebuilt.

Hmmm, I thought that portage handled dependencies automatically.

The other thing I don't understand is why parrot and openoffice failed
in the first place. Aren't they're linked against, for example,
libicule.so? I thought the whole point of making  libicule.so a symlink
to the actual library was to allow transparent library upgrades
(provided the entry points don't change).

> > BTW, re-emerging parrot fixed parrot's problem, and I have  5 hours, 31
> > minutes and 40 seconds before I can tell you if it fixed openoffice's
> > problem (I'm assuming it will).
>
> Now if openoffice fails to build against the new icu, then _that_ is a bug.
> :-)

Openoffice build successfully.

--
Vladimir G. Ivanovic <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>