On Fri, 17 Nov 2006, Daevid Vincent wrote:

I have had my server for several years, I haven't added a new user in
probably 6 months or more. I tried to add one last night and all seemed
fine. However it can't login via ssh (not at a console, so I don't know
about that way) but existing accounts can.

It could be a bunch of things, so you're going to have to brainstorm.

Here are some quick ideas off the top of my head:

- Does the new user have a valid shell?

- If the new user's shell is valid and different from other users'
        shells, then is the new user's shell listed in /etc/shells ?

- Is the PAM configuration known to be sane?  (i.e., have you confirmed
        that there are no files in /etc/pam.d/ that need to be merged via
        etc-update from a previous upgrade?)

- What sort of output does sshd send to the syslog when the new user
        attempts to login?  Does the output change-- and reveal any hints-- if
        sshd is run in the forground in debug mode?

Joe