On Fri, 17 Nov 2006, Flophouse Joe wrote:

On Fri, 17 Nov 2006, Jorge Almeida wrote:

 I just noticed that I don't have a man page for openssl.
 How can this be?

I looked at the output of "equery files --filter=man openssl" and
noticed that while the openssl package on my system contained *some*
manpages, it certainly didn't contain a manpage for openssl(1).  Since I
didn't have any doc-like USE flags specified for the openssl package, I
took a look at the contents of the openssl tarball.

It looks like some of documentation is in perl's plain-old-documentation format under doc/apps/ . If you extract the tarball, you can view what looks like an openssl(1) manpage with

perldoc /path/to/tarball/doc/apps/openssl.pod

This documentation certainly seems like it ought to installed along with the openssl manpages. Does anyone know if it's been excluded purposefully? (If not, Jorge, it might be a good idea to submit a bug about it.)

I have access to a FC system, and, sure enough, there is a man page for
openssl. I hope it was a mistake.
Thanks, at least I'm relieved that it's not a problem with my system
(and I guess I must take a better look at equery).

Jorge