On Friday 17 November 2006 00:27, "Daevid Vincent" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote about '[gentoo-user] How come my 'esearch' isn't updated when I
emerge something until the next 'esync'?!':
> How come when I emerge something, my 'esearch' isn't updated until the
> next time I do an 'esync'?
>
> But I *DO* have it installed....
>
> Why can't portage just be smart enough  to update whatever
> record/file/log/whatever it is that shows what I have installed?!

esearch is separate from portage, portage DOES update it's records (that's
why emerge, part of portage, shows it as installed).  esearch uses a
separate database (for speed) that is updated by either by esync (which
also does an emerge --sync) or eudatedb.

(Sorry if this has already been mentioned; I'm not receiving all the emails
from the list.)

--
"If there's one thing we've established over the years,
it's that the vast majority of our users don't have the slightest