On Thu, 23 Nov 2006, Markus Schönhaber wrote:

> A. Khattri wrote:
> > On Tue, 7 Nov 2006, Grant wrote:
> > > emerge world wants to update mysql from 4.1.21 to 5.0.26-r1 on my
> > > server this morning.  Has anyone made a similar upgrade?
> >
> > More importantly, I would like to know why MUST I update to MySQL 5?
>
> Why do you think you "MUST"? I doubt that there exists a law that says that
> you have to upgrade or you will be sent to jail if you don't.
>
> > Im running 4.1 quite happily and have mysql-5 masked out in
> > /etc/portage/package.mask.
>
> What's the problem then?

Nothing - apart from not being to *any* updates:

# emerge -uDtav world

These are the packages that would be merged, in reverse order:

Calculating world dependencies |
!!! All ebuilds that could satisfy "=dev-db/mysql-5.0*" have been masked.
!!! One of the following masked packages is required to complete your
request:
- dev-db/mysql-5.0.26-r1 (masked by: package.mask)

For more information, see MASKED PACKAGES section in the emerge man page
or
refer to the Gentoo Handbook.
(dependency required by "virtual/mysql-5.0" [ebuild])

!!! Problem resolving dependencies for dev-db/mysql
!!! Depgraph creation failed.

Nice.