On Mon, 27 Nov 2006, Dave Jones wrote:

> Even worse is that udev seems to discover the sound cards in the reverse
> order to coldplug.  My Audigy card becomes /dev/dsp1 and the Intel card
> is /dev/dsp0.

You should be able to force them to get the names you want with a couple
of sufficiently specific udev rules. The whole point of udev is that this
sort of policy is up to you, rather than being chosen by the system using
black magic. Look at the manpage for udev and the rules in
/etc/udev/rules.d/, and write rules for NAME="sound/dsp0" and
NAME="sound/dsp1" which match the cards you want to have those names.

> Unfortunately,  Audacious, my music player of choice, doesn't seem to
> offer any choice of which dsp to use.

Assuming you've emerged audacious-plugins the "alsa" USE flag, go to
Audacious's preferences, Audio, and select "ALSA 1.2.2 output plugin"
instead of "OSS Output Plugin", to actually use ALSA natively for it
(which lets ALSA do software mixing, among other benefits).

In any case, under Audio, Output Plugin Preferences for either of these
plugins will let you select a card arbitrarily.

        -Daniel
*This .sig left intentionally blank*