On 11/29/06, Mick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On Tuesday 28 November 2006 23:10, Daniel Iliev wrote:
> Mick wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > My laptop does not have a DVD writer, only a DVD/CD player.  On the
other
> > hand, my desktop has the works.  Other than booting the desktop in
Gentoo
> > and burning DVDs directly, is there a way to use it remotely from my
> > laptop?  Can I define in K3B my desktop's DVD drive(s)?  How can I set
> > this up for a LAN connection?
> >
> > While at it, is there a way to achieve this at all when the desktop is
> > not running Gentoo, but WinXP?
> >
> > PS. I do not currently have SAMBA configured on either box.
>
> I think these two command chains should work:
>
> "mkisofs -opt1 -opt2 -optN /files/for/burning | \
> ssh desktop cdrecord dev=/dev/hdc -driveropts=burnfree -" <---for CDs
>
> "mkisofs -opt1 -opt2 -optN /files/for/burning | \
> ssh desktop  growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/dvd=/dev/fd/0" <---for DVDs
>
> If you decide to try the above commands, please, do it with *RW media*
> first, because I haven't tested them.

Thanks for all suggestions.  Daniel's idea seems to be closer to what I
was
looking for (I do not have Java installed on either box, although I could
run
Knoppix on  the CD writer machine).  Only I have no idea what the options
should be to copy a DVD - I guess an iso image of the original?  I'll need
go through that man page a few times, unless you can suggest an
appropriate
string of options.

PS.  When I used the k3b gui with default settings to copy a WinXP
directory
to a DVD it capitalised all filenames and substituted most characters
like "&", spaces, etc with "_".  I assume that this is because it applied
Jolliet standard.  How should I set it in K3B to get all the
file name characters copied over intact?  How would I do this in mkisofs,
too?
--
Regards,
Mick

on mkisofs I think you have to use -r for Rock  Ridge then you should get
the "real" filenames