Ok... thanks Michael and Neil, I didn't know that compiling openoffice
take to many times. For next big emerges I'll do what you suggested.

Leandro

2006/12/5, Michael Sullivan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
On Tue, 2006-12-05 at 16:46 -0300, Leandro Melo de Sales wrote:
> OK. The problem is that I typed "emerge openoffice" in a xterm. Is it
> possible to turn X off and continue compilation on console?
>
> Leandro

If you can get to your non-X console (Control+Alt+F1) and from there
issue /etc/init.d/xdm stop.  I'm not quite sure what would heppen to the
progress you've made, since it's in an xterm.  You should probably do
big emerges like that in a screen...