On 2006-12-05, Alan McKinnon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> That's nasty.  Why do some equery commands accept regexes and
>> others dont?
>
> Because some equery commands search for packages (ideally
> suited for a regex), and others by design operate on a single
> package (where using regexes don't make any sense).

But that differentiation seems purely artificial.  What is
there about the "print size" operation that makes it something
you can't or shouldn't do on multiple packages?  Why shouldn't
the operation of "pkgspec" and "command" be orthogonal?
"pkgspec" selects zero or more packages and the command
operates on the selected package.

Why the limitation that some commands only operate on one
package?

> It all makes perfect sense when you realize this, but no-one
> expects you to realize it immediately :-)

Well, it seems pretty non-intuitive and non-orthogonal to me. I
guess that's a result of many years of shell usage where
commands like "rm" and "ls" work equally well on a single file
or multiple files.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Are you selling NYLON
                                  at               OIL WELLS?? If so, we can