On Wed, 6 Dec 2006, Neil Bothwick wrote:

grub-set-default only sets it for one boot, so your default, which would sensibly be set to a known working kernel, takes over next time.

I still don't see how grub-set-default has any provisions for booting a kernel just once and then automatically causing some other kernel to be booted on subsequent boots. The documentation for grub-set-default makes no mention of this functionality and provides workarounds that wouldn't be necessary if it existed.

Is it possible that I'm missing some sort of "--once-only" option that you can pass to grub-set-default?

Based on my reading and on my testing, the only way to get grub to boot a kernel just once as the original poster described is to use each of "default saved", grub-set-default, and multiple occurences of "savedefault N"-- grub-set-default alone can't do the job.

If there's a better way to get "lilo -R"-like behavior in grub, then I'd like to learn it. Could you please provide an example or a link to documentation?

There's also a fall back option to specify a kernel to boot in the event of a failure of the default. Maybe your are thinking of "savedefault fallback" which sets this.

I saw that as well, but I don't think I was thinking of that.

Anyway, the answer still remains, that with grub-set-default and a suitable configuration, GRUB will do the same as lilo -R. That's the reason I am comfortable using it on a headless server as well as desktops.

Agreed completely.

Joe