On 12/6/06, Mirco Bakker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hi

For the archives: Problems solved. The missing ethernet interface resulted from
two missing links in /sbin (udev_run_devd, udev_run_hotplugd). I've created
them now manually. I think they should get installed when emerging udev. A this
point I have no idea why they were missing on my system (if someone has an idea
please reply). Anyway it works fine again.

No, you should not have any udev utilities in /sbin now.  They now
live in /lib/udev.  In the udev rules files, you should not specify
any path for any utilities that you want to run (use PROGRAM="foo"
instead of PROGRAM="/path/foo").  Also rules files owned by udev (like
50-udev.rules) should show an update required when you run etc-update,
and you should accept the new file, rather than keeping any changes
you made.  You should only make changes to 10-local.rules.

Also, there might be some orphans in /etc/udev/rules.d.  You can find
these with "equery belongs /etc/udev.d/rules.d/<filename>".  Anything
that doesn't belong to a package (other than 10-local.rules, and
70-persistent-*.rules) could probably be removed.

-Richard