On Friday 08 December 2006 06:07, Richard Fish wrote:
> On 12/7/06, Mick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > Then I tried mounting a data DVD but all I get is:
> >
> > $ mount /mnt/cdrom
> > mount: No medium found
>
> Is this the same DVD you wrote as before?  Can you try writing a
> different DVD, or a different brand of media.  Just write some random
> small files to it and try that.

I've tried both the previous DVD+RW with the large 3G avi file on it and
another DVD+RW (same brand) with file backups from a NTFS drive.  It couldn't
read them.  Then I tried reading a CD, CDRW and DVD+R.  No problem with any
of them, despite the fact that the DVD+R had a c. 4G partition tar.gz on it.
The problem seems to be with the DVD+RWs.

> I'm thinking one of two possibilities
> here:
>
> 1. (unlikely) the 3GB file is confusing things, possibly only files up
> to 2GB are supported.  Note that DVD movies usually split things up
> into 1GB chunks, probably for these kinds of issues.

Probably not true if it can read the 4G tar file on a DVD+R that I mention
above.

> 2. (likely) your DVD ROM drive is not capable of reading some or all
> writeable media.  Just because it can read a printed DVD, doesn't mean
> it can read a DVD+R, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+RW, or DVD-R-DL, etc...  So
> you might try different types and different brands of media to see if
> you can find something it will read.

I have a horrible thought that you are right.  This is the device:

              *-cdrom
                   product: Compaq DVD-ROM DRN-8080B
                   physical id: 0
                   bus info: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                   logical name: /dev/hdc
                   version: 2.18
                   serial: 2001/08/14
                   capabilities: packet atapi cdrom removable nonmagnetic dma
lba iordy audio dvd

K3B shows that it "Reads DVD: Yes" and it does not write on any media.  I
believe that it is a Compaq branded LG DVD-ROM.  Is there anywhere where I
can see what types of media it can read, or is this a trial & error affair?
--
Regards,
Mick