Grant wrote:
>> > Ok, knowing that others like it I'm more comfortable trying to get
>> > used to it.  It's all the IfDefine stuff I don't like.
>>
>> Actually that makes it super flexible.
>
> At the expense of simplicity.

The learning curve may be steeper, adding hosts is easier (IMHO etc of
course).

How does the layout facilitate adding hosts?  I added a 01_vhost.conf
file to be included in httpd.conf.

Adding vhosts = dropping the config in /etc/apache2/vhosts.d/, no need to touch other files. Enabling PHP? Just add one -Define in /etc/conf.d/apache2.

>> > domain but not for another, and you need both of the domains to
>> > function under SSL?  Is multiple IPs the only way?
>>
>> YES.
> > What would you do if you needed a certain <Location> block for one
>
> Or multiple ports.

Or make a certificate for multiple domains.

But the problem is that I need a Location block for one SSL domain and
not for another.  I can't do that on the same IP, domain, and port no
matter what kind of certificates I have right?

Uhhhm, why, yes, you can. I'm not quite sure I understand your problem right now, but basically you can do (seen from apache) anything with your 443 hosts you can do with the 80 ones. The only problem is
1. You can only use one (1) certificate per IP/port,
2. If you host both domains "foo" and "bar" behind one IP/port, and your certificate is "foo" only, visitors of bar will get a validation nag.

Compare your ssl vhosts to your non ssl ones. I think you made some little mistake while adapting the gentoo config file copy. See below for our (working) config, note the similarity of IP and port... ;-)

Regards,
   Thomas

<VirtualHost 88.198.12.136:443>
 ServerName issues.serverkommune.de
 DocumentRoot /var/www/www.serverkommune.de/htdocs/trac
<IfDefine SSL>
  SSLEngine on
SSLCipherSuite ALL:!ADH:!EXPORT56:RC4+RSA:+HIGH:+MEDIUM:+LOW:+SSLv2:+EXP:+eNULL
  SSLCertificateFile conf/ssl/cacert-signed.crt
  SSLCertificateKeyFile conf/ssl/cacert.key
</IfDefine>
 <Location />
   SetHandler mod_python
[...]