On Sat, 2006-12-09 at 08:33 +0000, Neil Bothwick wrote:

> > > I guess the next step is to rebuild your kernel with this module.
> > >

> > You don't understand; I don't have the module because I don't have any
> > hardware in the system that uses snd-intel8x0m - I have snd-hda-intel.
>
> I do understand. The script is telling you it needs the module; some
> winmodems require sound modules; so add the module. You can always
> remove it at the next kernel upgrade if it turns out to be unnecessary.

OK.  I checked my kernel config again and it did have the snd-intel8x0
driver built as a module, but not the snd-intel8x0m.  I rebuilt the
kernel with the snd-intel8x0m module and rebooted.  It modprobes
successfully.  I emerged slmodem successfully this time (I don't know if
I still need it.)  I made the suggested entry in /etc/modules.d/alsa and
ran modules-update.  What's the next step?  Someone said that I should
try to get a dial tone at this point; how do I do that?