Jorge Almeida wrote:
[...] I use KDE, not because I find it perfect
but because AFAIK it's the only DE that has two features that for me are
a must: (1) Several virtual desktops, plus the possibility to switch
desktops via configurable keyboard shortcuts, and (2) the possibility of
setting different background images for different desktops.
The latter is not just a matter of eye candy, it's just how I see which
virtual desktop is the current one.

I don't think Gnome can do this, at least not unless you're a
guru-wizard, which I'm not.

Can do 1 (using it a lot), can't do 2 (yet?). Not to convince you no matter what, just for completeness.

Happy surfing,
   Thomas