On Monday 18 December 2006 23:19, Norberto Bensa wrote:
> Mick wrote:
> > # iwlist wlan0 scan
> > wlan0     Scan completed :
> >           Cell 01 - Address: 00:0C:20:03:3B:C5
> >                     ESSID:"The Cairngorm Hotel"
> >                     Mode:Master
> >                     Frequency:2.437 GHz
> >                     Encryption key:off
> >                     Extra:tsf=00000004ed7ab5fa
>
> Have you tried:
>
> # iwconfig wlan0 essid "The Cairngorm Hotel"
> # dhcpcd wlan0

I did not try specifying the essid manually, given that it is the only essid
in the vicinity and iwconfig shows that my machine has already associated
with it.

However, I've tried the dhcpcd wlan0 but it eventually times out.  :(

> Do you have Windows installed? Do you get an IP address on Windows?

No I don't.  This is a Gentoo-only laptop.  But other WinXP machines appear to
get an IP address and connect happily to the Internet at both hotels.

What else should I try?  Would perhaps dhcpcd -S be needed to get the router
to assign an IP address?  I do not have much experience with wirelless
connections because up until now I've been lucky enough to always connect to
public (and private) WiFi routers effortlessly.
--
Regards,
Mick