On Tue, 19 Dec 2006 13:06:05 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:

> My desktop machine at home is still on 2005.0 profile and yet, it is a
> fully up to date x86 system. If I were to make it a 2006.1 profile,
> it's very unlikely that anything would change at all.

In this case, I expect there would be changes. 2006.1 introduced desktop
and server sub-profiles, so 2006.1 itself contains a minimal set of USE
flags, only those used by both server ans desktop. Thus it is possible
that many of your packages would be rebuilt with an emerge -uavDN world.
On the other hand, if you switched to a 2006.1/desktop profile, it is
likely that very little would change, except maybe a few default USE
flags that you hardly use.

--
Neil Bothwick

Software: (n.) That which hardware manufacturers can blame for physical
failures.