On Thursday 21 December 2006 10:00, Andrey Gerasimenko wrote:
> When SHOULD I sync again? That is, for how long may I not to sync and
>   expect that ebuilds can find the files they need to download at the
> expected locations? It looks like this depends on the good will of
> 3-d parties, for example, I will get nVidia legacy drivers only if
> nVidia keeps them on their site or the mirror I use keeps them. I
> still do not know for how long old ebuilds keep working. I understand
> that some ebuilds can stop working any time when a 3-d party changes
> the file they do not allow to put on mirrors, but what is normal for
> an ebuild?

It depends.

You see, this is like asking how long is a piece of string? Because we
have no idea when the vendors will change their drivers, so the ebuild
is valid for as long as it still works and the download is available.
Note carefully that none of that is in any way under a gentoo dev's
control

Now often should you sync? There is no rule, and none is possible, so
don't ask for one. I can give you some tips from experience though:

If you run ~arch you might want to sync ever few days or so. For a
regular stable (arch) system, I found once a week or once a fortnight
suited me. You might be different. So try syncing once a week, if you
find that you can cope OK with that, stick with it. Otherwise, sync
more or less often till you find the interval that suits you.

alan