I may be preaching to the converted, but have you tried Ctrl-Alt-Fx keys to try
and get a console? Does the keyboard have any odd switches to turn the F keys
on? My logitech keyboard does - to switch between hotkeys and Fx keys.

David

Note: These views are my own, advice is provided with no guarantee of success.
I do not represent anyone else in any emails I send to this list.