Hi Fei,

On Tue, Dec 26, 2006 at 05:35:59PM +0800, fei huang wrote:
> didn't you separate your boot partition from / ?
>
> -->   root (hd1,5)
> this indicates your BOOT partition (/boot) is located at  /dev/hdb6

        Originally, this would have been:

        root(hd0,5)

> -->   kernel /boot/linux-2.6.15-gentoo-r1 root=/dev/hda6
> this indicates your ROOT partition ( your / ) locates at /dev/hda6, is is
> possible?

        while I have not changed this line.

        /boot is part of the / heirarchy, which is on /dev/hda6 assuming
    the disk is an IDE disk in the laptop.

        What I have is:

IDE: FreeBSD, with FreeBSD MBR
USB enclosure:
     first 2 partitions Windows
     hda5  - SWAP
     hda6  - /
     hda7  - /var
     hda8  - /usr
     hda9  - /tmp
     hda10 - /usr/src
     hda11 - /usr/portage
     hda12 - /home
     GRUB is instaled in MBR.

        Now, on boot, the FreeBSD bootloader gets me to the GRUB loader on
   the USB drive.

        What I believe I need to know is how to remap the partitions on the
   original IDE drive to SCSI partitions, because that drive is now in the USB
   enclosure.

        Also, I need to know how to "change" the Windows partition so that
   Windows believe it is the first disk, otherwise it will not boot.

                                                                Bruce