On Sun, 24 Dec 2006, Walter Dnes wrote:

>   Did an "emerge --sync" and "emerge --ask --deep --update --world".
> When emerge got to x11-libs/gtk+-2.10.6, the following happened...
>
> checking for cups-config... /usr/bin/cups-config
> checking cairo-pdf.h usability... no
> checking cairo-pdf.h presence... no
> checking for cairo-pdf.h... no
> configure: error:
> *** Can't find cairo-pdf.h. You must build Cairo with the pdf
> *** backend enabled.
>
>   Probably because I start off USE with a "-*".  Should be an easy fix,
> insert "x11-libs/cairo pdf" into /etc/portage/package.use and rebuild
> Cairo, then proceed with the emerge... *BUT*...
>
> [m3000][root][~] emerge -pv cairo

> Calculating dependencies... done!
> [ebuild   R   ] x11-libs/cairo-1.2.4  USE="X png -directfb -doc -glitz
> -svg (-pdf%)" 0 kB
>
>   Oops... note the "(-pdf%)".  This option is simply not allowed for
> Cairo on my system.  I threw in "--skipfirst" into the emerge command,
> and it seems to be working so far.  But back to my main problem... how
> do I reconcile gtk+ and Cairo?

Actually, the cairo ebuild now unconditionally enables pdf support; the
USE flag is not allowed because it is no longer possible to disable pdf
support. (Portage doesn't have a way to express the differences between
something not being a USE flag because it is unsupported and because it is
automatic, but if you look in the ebuild, you'll find that it's using
"--enable-pdf")

So gtk+ should be happy once you re-emerge cairo even without changing use
flags.

        -Daniel
*This .sig left intentionally blank*