Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
On Saturday 30 December 2006 22:00, Mark Kirkwood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote about '[gentoo-user] Easy dialup for unprivileged user':
Now it pretty much does - but to trigger the ppp interface 'up' state I
find myself doing stuff like:

$ ping <ip of ISP nameserver>

or similar, because hostname access will just return "host not found"
immediately without trying to bring the link up. So while this
workaround is ok for me, I would like to get it so that the ppp
interface comes up more intuitively (or am I missing something
obvious?... that would be nice!).

You might try running a local, caching-only nameserver. That may bring up ppp as needed by changing how your hostname resolution works. In particular, I'm betting that your hostname resolution is currently programmed specifically NOT to bring up an interface, while bind or dnscache oe w/e (when queried by your resolver) will not be as "smart" an send a DNS request to an IP, as needed. [If not needed, it will resolve the hostname to an IP address and your other application (browser, email, w/e) will use that IP (and wake up your ppp device).]

(Just shooting from the hip here, though so, no guarantees.)

In any case, a local, caching-only nameserver will still "speed up" your dial-up connection for DNS "intensive" tasks -- like web browsing. So, you work setting one up (which should be minimal) will not be for naught.

Yeah - thanks, great suggestion. I've give that a try. I run a caching only nameserver for my own desktop system for exactly the performance reasons you mentioned above, so setup is not problem.

Cheers

Mark