Hi folks,

-- snip --

> The control centre has been problematic since its invention.
> Its complexity
> reflects a real dilemma. How to present literally thousands
> of options? Sane
> defaults are fine - still, power users want to tweak
> everything, and they
> should be able to. I hope the HCI people that have got
> involved in KDE a
> while back will be able to influence the overhaul of it in
> KDE4 to an extent
> that it no longer intimidates people.
>
> That said, you should have seen it in the begin. It has
> become much better
> over the years.
>
> Uwe
 -- snip --

I like the approach taken by the Azureus application - you can choose to see
"beginner", "intermediate" or "advanced" options.

Perhaps having a section for the basic options (like what theme you want, what
you want your windows to do when you double click the top bar etc) and have the
advanced options like fine tuned tweaking kept seperate?

Alternatively some form of documentation to show where options are might be
useful. eg:

Q. I want to blah blah
A. Look in the foo section, click on the blurp tab and select option zonk.

David

Note: These views are my own, advice is provided with no guarantee of success.
I do not represent anyone else in any emails I send to this list.