-- snip --

> it might be a nice idea to look into how knoppix backgrounds the dhcp
> process and implement that into Gentoo's init,
> i think i did get annoyed with the dhcp process taking ages a
> few years
> back and just put a '&' at the end of the dhcp line, i cant
> remember if
> this worked or not tho.

Does this not then delay services depending on net.eth0? Although it
would perhaps make sense to do init scripts in the order:

1) Everything needed to get eth0 up
2) net.eth0
3) Non network reliant stuff
4) Network reliant stuff

If this makes sense ... ;>

David

Note: These views are my own, advice is provided with no guarantee of
success. I do not represent anyone else in any emails I send to this
list.