On Friday 05 January 2007 22:00, kashani wrote:
> Etaoin Shrdlu wrote:
> > For browsing the internet, the setup is just a little bit more complex.
> > At least, you need a http proxy running on the router (like squid), then
> > do port forwarding for ports 80, 443, etc. and set up your browser
> > accordingly to use the proxy. This way, your http requests are sent to
> > the proxy via the ssh tunnel, and from there go to the their intended
> > destinations using your ISP connectivity.
>
> Actually it is very simple to socks proxy your ssh connection and use
> that without any additional software.
>
> ssh -D 1080 [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> Then pop into your broswer config and set the socks proxy to be
> 127.0.0.1:1080 and you're done.

I just checked and it seems that the OEM firmware on the netgear drops all ssh
attempts to connect.  :(

$ ssh 192.168.0.1
ssh: connect to host 192.168.0.1 port 22: Connection refused

Same story when I use my internet IP address (it times out).  It seems that I
will have to try openwrt.

Thank you all for your suggestions.

PS.  I noticed that the -D option can be specified as: "ssh -D
[bind_address:]port".  Which bind_address should be used in the above example?
I am not sure I understand how this is meant to be used.
--
Regards,
Mick