On Sat, 06 Jan 2007 04:24:58 +0300, David Relson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On Fri, 05 Jan 2007 17:23:51 -0700
Steve Dibb wrote:

I've been reading this thread as well as the earlier (July) threads
(from gmane) and notice that everyone is discussing "30 days",
"automatic", and "stabilization bugs".  What if there were 2 time
periods - a minimum and a maximum.  For example:

with a 30 day min, a package would have to be bug free for 30 days
before a stabilization bug _could_ be acted upon.

If there are no open bugs and no stabilization bug was submitted , then
a maximum period (perhaps 60 days, perhaps 6 months) would cause an
_automatic_ upgrade to stable.

Having an acceptably large max period would take some of the load off
of developer shoulders and would prevent the current situation of having
really old ~ARCH packges (some of which currently seem to measure in
the hundreds of days).

Just my $.02

David

The problem is that currently all that is stable has been marked so by a human being. Adding any automation to the process will change the meaning of "stable". I feel that the change will be substantial, like the difference between a Google search result and a report from an analyst.

My feeling is that the major part of the users is happy with what we have now, that is

- the most stable system that can be constructed with ARCH
- the most recent possibly usable system with ~ARCH
- the most recent system we know about with masked

Looking at the list, I feel that the key points on the "stable - unstable" axis has been marked. Thus, I do not really want to move any of the markers, especially the stable one, since it will be bad for those who need a really stable system.

My $0.02 is that there are 3 options:

- do nothing, possibly explain the meaning of arch, ~arch, and masked better in the docs. - add a new level of stability, like ^ARCH, and move from ~ARCH to ^ARCH automatically. - encourage development of tools that will make it easier to maintain "stable - unstable - deliberately outdated" mixture. Such a tool may, among other things, request the list of ~arch packages together with the number of days there are no unresolved bug reports other than version bump and stabilize.

----
Andrei Gerasimenko