On Friday 05 January 2007 16:44, Christoph Eckert wrote:
> > In the case of some drivers (such as intel hd audio) I have found the
> > userspace drivers to be far superior to the kernel modules which gave
> > poor sound quality, incredibly low volume even when turned fully up,
> > and frequent distortion.
>
> using the alsa-driver package makes sense to get more recent drivers
> (that's why it exists). But the mentioned snd_intel8x0 in the kernel
> should work very well.

I think the poster is talking about snd_hda_intel, not snd_intel8x0, which is
a different module. The version of snd_hda_intel in kernel doesn't work well,
but fortunately it is being actively worked on by one of the alsa devs, so
that  version 1.0.14_rc1 of the alsa-driver package is much better than the
kernel version.

Steve
Steve Evans            E-mail: mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
                       WEB:    http://www.gorbag.com
Registered Linux user #217906: http://counter.li.org
Public Encryption Key:         http://www.gorbag.com/public-key.html

2.6.18-gentoo-r6 Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz GNU/Linux

 17:38:48 up 8 days,  6:10,  1 user,  load average: 0.37, 0.57, 0.54

Systems have sub-systems and sub-systems have sub-systems and so on ad
infinitum -- which is why we're always starting over.
                -- Epigrams in Programming, ACM SIGPLAN Sept. 1982