About ESD, well I read somewhere that is deprecated and if it continue here
is only for compatibility isues. ALSA support more sound cards and also is
besta managed by the laste kernel versions. Actually I tried to install alsa
in my machine. I recomend it, because ESD has some problems and now is dead.

In order to kill ESD daemon you can do this (As root):

killall esd

2007/1/8, David Relson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

On Mon, 8 Jan 2007 06:08:32 -0800
Mark Knecht wrote:

> Sorry,
>    You're right about the flags. It's 'esd' vs. 'eds'. My mistake.
> Sorry.
>
>    As I said I do not use Gnome System Sounds. In the Gnome
> Preferences menu if I choose 'Sounds' and then the 'Sounds' tab I do
> not have 'Enable sound software mixing (ESD)' enabled.
>
> - Mark

Hi Mark,

Actually "eds" _is_ one of the USE flags used by gnome-control-center's
ebuild, with the other being alsa.

I've disabled "ESD" because sound effects don't generally interest me.
What does interest me is listening to CDs, web radio, etc.

Anyhow, I've got CDPlayer playing Alice's Restaurant and am enjoying
hearing it again (after numerous years).

Regards,

David