sean wrote:

I tried the xf86-video-ati driver as you suggested. Xorg just starts up, is blank or black for a few moments then just ends. Cannot find out a reason why at this point.

Hmmm - I notice from another email that you have lost your .so for radeon, so that might be an issue, so after reinstalling xf86-video-ati maybe try the steps I followed.

I didn't select direct rendering support in-kernel (not sure if doing that and *not* emerging x11-drm is better, but anyway):

# echo "INPUT_DEVICES=\"keyboard mouse\"" >> /etc/make.conf
# echo "VIDEO_CARDS=\"radeon vesa\"" >> /etc/make.conf
# VIDEO_CARDS="radeon" emerge x11-drm
# emerge xorg-x11
# env-update
# source /etc/profile
# Xorg -configure                           # fails mouse detect
# sed 's/\/dev\/mouse/\/dev\/input\/mice/' xorg.conf.new  > xorg.conf.newer
# Xorg -config `pwd`/xorg.conf.newer
# cp xorg.conf.newer /etc/X11/xorg.conf     # only if prev works!

Note that Xorg -configure seems to fail to detect the mouse device, but gives an otherwise good file.

The 2nd to last last step should give a working X server (default background with a mouse cross). If it doesn't then there is an issue!

Cheers

Mark