Ryan Crisman wrote:
Everytime I attempt to install a new program using portage i get this error:

Resolving distfiles.gentoo.org... failed: Temporary failure in  name
resolution.

I do have internet access and I am writing this email from the same
machine.  It doesn't matter what package or when i get this error all the
time.  Even on the other mirrors for the package.

Well, for some reason dns lookup for those sites fail. What happens when you put distfiles.gentoo.org in a web browser? You could also try pinging the repositories first, and if they get though, try emerge again. If emerge still fails, I'd try adding them to the host file with whatever ip you get from pinging as a workaround.

PaulNM