Bo Ørsted Andresen wrote:
> I've gotten this mail twice now.
>
> On Saturday 13 January 2007 07:28, Dale wrote:
>
>> Kent Fredric wrote:
>>
>>> It would appear google has updated their package without changing the
>>> name, and portage has not been notified of this change.
>>>

> It's the other way around. He gets a digest verification error *because*
> portage was notified. The old ebuild gets removed because it's tarball is now
> unavailable upstream (and a new is available under the same name).
>
> [SNIP]
>
>>> and that should fix you up. I found it still compiles and runs fine
>>> *shrugs*
>>>

> Not much of a fix. Just gets the old version. Of course it still compiles and
> runs. It hasn't changed at all.
>
> [SNIP]
>
>> While I know that it comes from Google and I don't question the tarball from
>> a security point of view, portage still complains about it each time and
>> deletes it for me, since it thinks it is a security problem.  That would
>> normally be a great idea but then I have to download it again, which takes a
>> little over two hours for me. I get about 10Mbs a hour here.
>>
> [SNIP]
>
> I can't help wondering. If you don't have the bandwidth to upgrade when there
> is an upgrade. How useful is googleearth to you then. It's not like it
> doesn't require any bandwidth just to run... Also the more often you sync the
> more bandwidth you need with Gentoo in general..

I only got it once.  :/

Well, I tried the other way around, not updating as often but I have it
all planned out now.  The problem with waiting is that it builds up.  I
would hate to sync after a month or so then find out OOo and KDE was
updated, plus some otehrs for good measure.  Just OOo takes me about 24
hours to download.  Yes, I get the compiled version.  This is Gentoo
after all.  ;-)  Plus, I ran into a config nightmare.  To many updates
at once for me.  I'm not a guru.

The way I do is this, I connect around 10:00PM, check my emails and
sometimes the weather.  Then I start the sync process and tell it to
fetch the new stuff afterwards, got to love the &&.  While it is doing
that, I go for my nightly soak in the tub.  I have a skin disorder and I
have spent several hours in the tub.  This works well because at the
very least the fetch has started and sometimes it has been fetching for
a while.  It depends on how many things are updated and how long I soak.

As for googleearth, well, dial-up has taught me patience.  It works, it
just takes a really long time to get there.  Sometimes another soak in
the tub.  LOL

Dale

--
www.myspace.com/dalek1967