On Saturday 13 January 2007 15:42, Michael Sullivan wrote:
> I'm fed up with this.  I've restarted the emerge of gcc-4.1.1-r3 on my
> server box four times now.  It always gets to compiling insn-attrtab.o
> and then it never stops.

Telling us what file it stopped at isn't helpfull at all. Showing us the
actual output where it got stuck (as in 20-30 lines) might be.

[SNIP]
>  4499 root      18   0  132m  35m  416 R  1.5 60.2   8:41.94 cc1
>
> bullet ~ # strace -p 4499
> Process 4499 attached - interrupt to quit
>
> This strace doesn't help me much.  What does "attached" mean, anyway?
> Is there some other way for me to get gcc-4 on my server box?  Some
> binary package for an i586 maybe?

If it does no interactions with the system then there probably is something
wrong.

Problem is thus far you've told us almost nothing. You didn't even bother to
reply to your first thread about this topic saying: "I've tried your
suggestions and got nowhere.. Any other suggestions?". And yes, you should
have included the above output from strace in that reply. Instead you've now
created a new thread with almost no useful information in it.

So for starters the output of `emerge --info`, and some real output from the
emerge. Also did you make any major upgrades on this system recently (like
changing the CHOST or upgrading from gcc-3.x to 4.x)? If you did, did you
follow the official Gentoo upgrade docs about it? Did you try something as
simple as `revdep-rebuild -i -vp`? Might tell us something about the
condition of your system too..

--
Bo Andresen