On Sat, 13 Jan 2007, Mick wrote:

That's how I have set up mine.  The Netgear [ADSL modem/NAT router/SPI
firewall (statefull packet inspection)] box does its tricks, inc. acting as a
DHCP, DNS server and gateway for the boxen on the LAN, while each LAN machine
has an additional layer of security by running its own firewall.

You configure the iptables using the web GUI, which runs on cgi scripts.
OpenWRT have a work-in-progress Linux image for it.  Hopefully development
will continue because I really like to set up ssh access to it.  There are
also ADSL routers in the market that have usb ports for attaching USB drivers
to be accessed by LAN machines as network drivers.  Of course hacking the
kernel on a machine like DNS-120, which can accept USB flash or hard drives
and make them accessible from the Internet is probably a more interesting
proposition . . .

I'm thinking of a Linksys WRT54GL, which can run OpenWRT. I need it to
have a ssh client (at least), because I want it to check its dynamic IP
periodically and ssh into my  PC at work, so that I can  ssh into my
home workstation if needed. And sshd in the router would allow to
keep the workstation off and wake it via WakeOnLan...Of course,
installing daemontools on the router to add reliability to the
IP-checking script would be even better...

Cheers.
--
Jorge Almeida