Hi there.

 I just happend to emerge evince and, after half an hour got the
following error:

18:07:32 (44.99 KB/s) - `/usr/portage/distfiles/evince-0.6.1.tar.bz2'
saved [1212271/1212271]

 * checking ebuild checksums ;-) ...
                                                          [ ok ]
 * checking auxfile checksums ;-) ...
                                                          [ ok ]
 * checking miscfile checksums ;-) ...
                                                          [ ok ]
 * checking evince-0.6.1.tar.bz2 ;-) ...
                                                          [ ok ]
 * Please re-emerge app-text/poppler-bindings with the gtk USE flag set

!!! ERROR: app-text/evince-0.6.1 failed.
Call stack:
  ebuild.sh, line 1626:   Called dyn_setup
  ebuild.sh, line 701:   Called qa_call 'pkg_setup'
  ebuild.sh, line 38:   Called pkg_setup
  evince-0.6.1.ebuild, line 67:   Called die

!!! poppler-bindings needs gtk flag set
!!! If you need support, post the topmost build error, and the call
stack if relevant.

I understand why this happend, and I know how to solve it.

My point is: should the RDEPEND and DEPEND syntax in ebuilds be changed
so that this kind of problems can be detected before emerging?

Here's an example. Imagine program A depends on B, and if A is built
with use flag "dvi", then it depends on C to be built with use flag
dvi2. The following could be A's DEPEND:

DEPEND="dvi? ([dvi2 C])
        B"

This is just an example, and I'm sure there's a different syntax that
could be more appropriate.

What do you this of it?

Is there any ongoing implementation to solve it in a different way?

Cheers,

Ivan.