On Wednesday 17 January 2007 08:28, Andrew Gaydenko wrote:
> Please, recommend me clean free monospaced _condensed_ TTF.
>
> The thing is, I was using the font as, for example, is shown here:
> http://gaydenko.com/qloud/screenshots/shot01.png
> Few years ago I have "condensed" some font (don't remember which)
> with pedit (fonforge now). Recently I have switch from CRT to LCD
> monitor. As a result, bolded variant looks awful. Apparently, simple
> horizontal "condensing" of TTF isn't right way, instead font must be
> "native".

I prefer Bitstream Vera Mono for this (or DejaVu which is a fork of the
same font). It looks good at small sizes down to 7 and I can easily
tell the difference between i,I,1,l and 0,O. It has an actual bold font
variant so there's none of that double-print-one-pixel to the right
nonsense which looks awful.

Andale is also not too bad, emerge corefonts to get it. It's not my
first choice as the glyphs are shorter than Vera with big gaps between
lines of text which looks a little odd and i and 1 are easily confused.
Vera Sans appears more in proportion to my eye

alan