On 1/18/07, Jan Stępień <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
1. Is it possible to enable somehow direct rendering on Xgl, therefore
allowing OpenGL apps to work as ought to.

No...Xgl is always indirect.

What graphics hardware are you using?  If it is anything but ATI, you
should be able to use the aiglx extensions in current (7.1) versions
of x.org to get beryl working nicely with direct rendering and video
overlays.

2. If the answer to the first questions is "NO", then is there a method
of choosing which Xserver to use? Can I choose whether I'd like to
launch Xorg or Xgl? Or maybe I can even enable such choice in GDM login
screen?

I don't know how to do this with GDM, but the easiest way to
accomplish this would be to have gdm manage two separate X sessions,
one with XGL and the other without, to run on two virtual consoles.
You could then switch between them with Ctrl-Alt-Fn sequence.

Note that logging in to any display manager doesn't restart the X
server, it just starts a session on whatever server the display
manager itself is displayed on.  So there isn't really any way to
change what X server is running from the display manager.

-Richard