On Sunday 21 January 2007 16:55, Dale wrote:
[SNIP]
> I have buildpkg set in make.conf.  It does tend to consume some
> space though.

You are aware that you can use eclean from app-portage/gentoolkit to clean
binpkgs that you no longer have installed? I tend to use it with
the --destructive option.

> What is say the top ten or twelve programs that would be
> good to have in case of a rescue?  I would assume portage, gcc and
> python would be pretty important.  I plan to delete the rest for space.

I'd add bash and baselayout too (in addition to Boyds suggestions).

[SNIP]
> Also, what commands would a person have to use to make use of those
> buildpkg's?  So far, I have not needed one.  < says prayer >  That
> assumes portage is what is screwed up to begin with.

# cd /
# tar -xjf ${PATH_TO_BINPKG}.tbz2

When portage is working:

# emerge -K ${PKG}

Also if you cannot boot and you have busybox installed, statically linked
adding "init=/bin/busybox" to the boot line should allow you to use busybox
to extract the tarballs. Otherwise a livecd should work.

--
Bo Andresen