Dale wrote:

As someone who started out using Mandrake, I have to say that using
Gentoo has been a LOT easier.  Yea, I had to learn how to use Gentoo and
it is different from Mandrake by far but it is a whole lot easier to
manage.  I have been using Gentoo for about 2 or 3 years for my desktop
and I would not consider switching to any other distro.  I spend a lot
less time messing with my Gentoo install that I did Mandrake.  The
upgrade process with Mandrake was . . . . a disaster.  From what I
understand Redhat and Mandrake are pretty close.  I certainly wouldn't
switch to Redhat then.

As for security, I have had several times that my internet connection
was messed up and the md5 sums didn't match.  Portage didn't hesitate to
delete those puppies and let me know that something was changed.  It
would seem to me that it would be difficult for someone to change the
source code on one server then change the other files on the rsync
server so they both match up.
Well, that my $0.02 worth.  Some of what is being said just doesn't make
sense to me at all.  Gentoo is a lot better than some distros.  It
certainly beats windoze.

Gotta second that - I have used Mandrake and Redhat, and Gentoo is such a better way - *once* you spend the time to understand why it is like it is!

As for comments about portage sync etc producing destroyed|mangled|buggy systems - well *any* update system can do that from time to time (ask windows update users after xp sp2 came out...) A sane test-before-deploy plan is essential for any large scale environment - ISTM that this is just as straightforard in Gentoo as any other Linux distro....

So, I see no reason why ya can't use Gentoo in a corporate environment!

Cheers

Mark