Hi Grant,
on Friday, 2007-01-26 at 09:47:51, you wrote:
> My laptop is currently still copying everything to my desktop system
> via tar and ssh.

That's good. dd would be easier on the HD in case it's breaking but if you have
a filesystem
error you'd still have to fix that after copying back. If the HD is not
about to die, tar (or rsync as Neil mentioned) is much better.

> When I ran rc this morning, I saw that ssh started so it must have
> stopped some time overnight as it usually does.  The laptop was still
> running the tar | ssh command I had started the night before.  Could
> the desktop be missing some of the laptop's data since the desktop
> wasn't running ssh all night, or would it "catch up" now that ssh is
> running?

If the connection didn't break on the laptop side (ssh|tar reporting a
broken pipe), you should be fine.

cheers!
        Matthias
--
I prefer encrypted and signed messages. KeyID: FAC37665
Fingerprint: 8C16 3F0A A6FC DF0D 19B0  8DEF 48D9 1700 FAC3 7665