> The thing I'm confused about is how I can get anything back to the
> laptop when it won't even have an OS on it.  I could boot a LiveCD but
> I don't think I'll be able to connect to the wireless network.

Hum...that's pretty much a show stopper. In that case, setting up a
wired network (if they have wlan, these machines would have wired lan as
well, no?) or buying that 2.5" IDE adapter is probably the least hassle.

Do you think it's a lost cause anyway since after a format/reinstall
the system still detects errors on the disk?

- Grant