On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 23:46:56 +0300, Vlad Dogaru <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Hello,

after some suggestions from the list I finally emerged KDE to give it
another try. Even with 256 MiB of RAM, it works quite acceptably, save
for the startup time. However, I notice it has installed all sorts of
marginally useful and ultimately resource consuming software such as
KWallet. Now, I realise the risks of keeping passwords scattered all
around (sometimes even unencrypted), but in my environment it's not
that great a priority.

I would like to know if unmerging KWallet (also the eduitainment suite
and possibly even Kopette and Konqueror) is safe. How can I tell for
other packages? Is emerge --unmerge enough or do other measures have
to be taken? Also, in the case of a fresh install, how can I choose
what KDE installs? Do I have to run emerge kde, or would kdelibs,
kdebase, etc (along with their dependencies of course) suffice?

Thanks in advance and sorry if I am being ambiguous (it's late)
Vlad

It looks like the problem is that you used some package like kdebase-meta and it installed all of the KDE. If so, now you have only kdebase-meta in /var/lib/portage/world and next time you upgrade world portage will install what you unmerge manually.

I did not test it, but the first thing that comes to mind is to edit the world manually: remove ....-meta packages and add packages that are actually installed. You can find them in /var/db/pkg/kde-base/ and /var/db/pkg/kde-misc.

--
Andrei Gerasimenko