Willie Wong wrote:
On Tue, Jan 30, 2007 at 09:04:51PM +0100, Penguin Lover Jakob Buchgraber
squawked:
Is there any excellent monolingual dictionary available for (Gentoo) Linux?

What do you mean by monoligual? (English to English? or other
languages?)

Anycase, I have on my desktop 'sdcv' installed. The last time I
checked (about 18 months ago) it is not in portage. Not quite sure if
it is now. http://sdcv.sourceforge.net/
It is a commandline interface for StarDict, and so can just use
stardict's dictionaries. (Speaking of which, if you are willing to
have a GUI, you can just emerge stardict; you would also need to
emerge the dictionaries that you need, they are all under app-dicts
with a stardict- prefix. There are also additional dictionaries that
you can download on http://stardict.sourceforge.net/)

On my laptop, I just run a dictd server (emerge dictd). You also need
to install dictionary files, again, all under app-dicts/dictd-*
For English to English, I suggest the WordNet dictionary. You can also, alternatively, just emerge wordnet.
Personally, if you just need an English-English dictionary, I would
suggest using wordnet. Dictd is a bit fancier, but you might not find
it more useful (I personally find the elements database quite useful
every now and then). If you need support for other languages, I would
suggest StarDict.
Also, you can just look into the portage tree under app-dicts and
app-text HTH,

Thanks for your reply!

Yeah, I am looking for an English to English dictionary. I already tried all available dictionaries in portage however nothing really satisfied my needs ...

Does anybody know something similar to the Cambridge dictionary? Because this is really a great monolingual dictionary only available for Windows, tough ...

Cheers,
Jakob