Hi,

On Fri, 2 Feb 2007 09:45:53 +0100 Pawel Kraszewski
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Dnia środa, 31 stycznia 2007, James Colby napisał:
>
> > I have a small home server that I have connected to the internet
> > through a linksys router and cable modem.  The linksys router is
> > currently forwarding all ssh traffic to my gentoo box.  What I would
>              ^^^^^^^^^
>
> Take note, that forwarded traffic (it is DNAT-ed in Linksys) would
> appear on your host as originating from your router. Original source
> address is stripped by router's NAT.

Nope, just the target Adress is rewritten (by routing). DNAT is
Destination NAT! I.e. the target IP of the packet is rewritten. Since
the Linksys is the default gateway, packets can keep their source IP
address. Of course, the source MAC address will be rewritten to the
router's -- but that's got nothing to do with NAT but routing instead.

-hwh