Dan,

The cable checked out. I used it to hookup my work laptop with the other
laptop I was using as my client, and was able to ping each host. The fact
that I had no link made me curious ... and I realized it made user error ...
I was "SURE" that I verified the NIC I was plugging into was eth1, as I've
got 3 NICs in the machine ... the one with no link is really eth2 ... not
eth1 ... I plugged into the correct interface, and (perhaps) needless to
say, my client is now seeing the gateway and the gateway sees the client.

Thanks for the pointers on my config. They helped me ensure that I had my
machine setup properly!

Thanks,

Shawn

On 2/2/07, Dan Farrell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On Fri, 2 Feb 2007 16:51:37 -0500
"Shawn Singh" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Dan,
>
> Thanks for the reply. The client is a laptop running Windows XP Home
> EditionI'. Server is a tower running Gentoo 2006.1, shorewall 3.0.8.
>
> The client is setup as follows:
> IP address: 192.168.1.2
> Netmask:    255.255.255.0
> Gateway:    192.168.1.1
> DNS:          192.168.1.1
>
> I've changed my /etc/conf.d/net to:
>
> # Interface Handler
> modules=( "ifconfig" )
>
> # eth0 (WAN) config
> config_eth0=( "dhcp" )
>
> # eth1 (LAN) config
> config_eth1=( "192.168.1.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast
> 192.168.1.255" )
for what it's worth, netmask and broadcast will also default to those
settings in ifconfig if you set the ip to 192.168.1.x

>  I have all that I need compiled into my kernel
> (2.6.19-r1).

I agree.  let's see what happens....