On Sun, Feb 04, 2007 at 10:22:17PM +0100, Penguin Lover Rudmer van Dijk
squawked:
> are you sure this is only with firefox?

so far this is the only app that I observed it with. xterm/aterm were
left open for hours, a few large image editing jobs were done with
gimp. Abiword and acroread I only had open for shorter periods of time
(several minutes tops) so I cannot say with absolutely certainty that
they don't cause the same behaviour.

But firefox really stood out since almost every operation on it
(starting it, clicking a link, get a new blank tab opened, pasting in
a link, etc.) causes the CPU spike.

> I have noticed this behavior too but due to lack of time I have reverted to
> use xorg-server-1.1.1-r4 for me it looked like every application triggered a
> cpu load of >90% by X. only I normally have a firefox window open all the
> time...

Right, on my stable box everything works like a charm. And I think
they even improved the firefox memory leak problem between 1.5.x and
2.0.x, since now I can leave a dozen tabs open for a week or two
without OOM killer kicking in.

> have you tried a rebuild of firefox _after_ installation of then new xorg
> packages? maybe that will solve the problem.

Yes, actually, just now I tried both 2.0.0.1 and 2.0.0.1-r2, so it is
probably a problem with xorg.

Since you are also observing the problem, I'll try reverting to a
lower version of xorg-server and see.

Thanks,

"I'm going to do this in more stupid fashion in a moment."
~DeathMech, S. Sondhi. P-town PHY 205
Sortir en Pantoufles: up 58 days, 19:55