Alan McKinnon wrote:
On Tuesday 06 February 2007, Gabriel Rossetti wrote:
Ric de France wrote:
Hi Gabriel,

On 07/02/07, Gabriel Rossetti <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I emerge a kernel, let's say gentoo-sources-2.6.19-r5, I create
the "linux" link, then cd inside
and compile/install it. I reboot and I get lots of errors from
modules, I do a uname -a
and notice that it still says 2.6.19-r4, i then check in the /boot
directory, and the links are correct,
then I check my grub.conf and it's correct, I then tried
gentoo-sources-2.6.20, still the same thing.
It sounds like you're doing the right thing. Could you do a:

$ ls -al /boot
$ cat /boot/grub/grub.conf
$ ls -al /usr/src

and then post the outputs to this list?

...Ric
Hi Ric,

yes, here is what you asked for :

[snip listings]

PS
I have not changed my way of compiling / installing the kernel for at
least 4 years (since switching to 2.6 kernel series)

Well, everything there looks just fine and how it should be, and you do appear to know exactly how to compile kernels.

It looks to me like you slipped up just this once and have a PEBKAC or a made a little typo - it happens :-)

If you run 'strings' on /boot/vmlinuz, is that really a 2.6.20 image? Did you verify that /usr/src/linux-2.6.20 really does contain a 2.6.20 tree by examining the actual files?

alan

here's the output of "strings"

strings /boot/vmlinuz | grep 2.6
2.6.20-gentoo ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) #2 SMP PREEMPT Tue Feb 6 14:09:46 UTC 2007

I didn't check the kernel tree against my files because I'm not really sure how to do that :-)

Gabriel